Tuesday, July 14, 2015

I'm No Expert

If you haven't seen it already, you surely will, it's trending on Facebook and it's got a whole lot of people talking. 

So what exactly am I talking about? I'm talking about the recent discovery by some Christians, including myself, that some bibles do not include every verse or passage that the authorized King James Bible does. 

Exhibit 1

“Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.”
Matthew 17:21 KJV

If you search for this scripture in the English Standard Version, the New International Version or the New Living Translation and a few others you will not find it. The begging question is why?

I'm so glad you asked, because that's the same question I had!

And then there were eight

If you are at least thirty years old you were taught that there were nine planets in our galaxy. However, if you ask a school age child today how many planets are there, she would proudly answer eight. Wait, what happened? Did one of the divine nine suddenly stop existing? Or Is there is a more reasonable explanation for the new understanding?

Yes, of course there is a reasonable explanation, and it's called technological innovation. Today we know more about our world then we have ever known before. And believe it or not, it is this same innovation that has allowed us to unearth even earlier versions of the Holy writ. Versions that do not include verses like Matthew 17:21. 

Are you suprised by my last statement, well I was too! 

As my title suggests, I am not a bible scholar and nor am I an expert; however, my research has lead me to believe that the authors of the ESV, NIV, NLT and others were not and are not trying to deceive us. In fact, if you were to read the introduction to these bibles, you will find that the authors not only admit to the omissions upfront, but also explain why as well.  

Conclusion: Don't throw the baby out with the bath water

Even with this being said, it doesn't change what I believe to be consistent in all versions of God's word: Jesus is the Messiah, He was born of a virgin, He lived a life free from sin, He died on the Cross for our sins, He rose again on the third day and now sits at the right hand of the Father as our Priestly King. As a result Jesus' obedience, I now have access to the tree of life and my relationship with the Father has been restored. 

The Take-a-Way

Know the Word for yourself! God is still on the throne and there is absolutely nothing you, I or anyone else can do about it. And so I leave you with a few words from Isaiah 55: 8 - 11

My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LordFor as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Amen







                                                                                                                                        



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read my blog. I pray that it has blessed you, and please do, visit again.